When installing linoleum to the floor, the material will last longer if it is glued to the base. Due to this, the coating will not be able to move from walking, waves will not form on the surface from the movement of furniture. Over time, the decorative floor covering will not shrink from drying, and the seams will not disperse. To fix linoleum, various compositions are used, depending on the material of the subfloor. We have prepared a rating of the best adhesives for linoleum, for which we have studied the characteristics of dozens of products and customer reviews. Information will help you choose a good glue for price and properties.
How to choose glue for linoleum
Before studying the rating of the best adhesives, let us briefly recall the criteria for choosing a product in order to understand the advantages of the presented nominalists. A building product is bought, paying attention to the following parameters:
- Glue base. As the basis of the adhesive, an aqueous solution and acrylic, cellulose acid, latex and rubber can be used. A product with this composition is more suitable for dry, heated rooms. Glue based on polyurethane and epoxy resin is designed for low temperatures and high humidity, but it is more expensive.
- Drying time. The indicator varies from 10 to 60 minutes. The total time for laying linoleum and putting the surface into operation depends on this.
- Consumption per kilogram. An important value that determines the cost of flooring installation. The indicator can be from 2 to 5 m².
- Packaging. The product is sold in containers from 100 ml to 20 liters. A small container is practical when laying linoleum on an area of 1-2 m², so that there is not much excess material left, and large containers are useful for installation in spacious rooms.
- Application method. Glue is fed through its own spout in a tube or by means of a spatula, scooping the product from the container. This determines the convenience of the process and laying time.
- Compatible with linoleum base. The adhesive must be compatible with the base of the linoleum, which is always indicated on the packaging. Among the flexible roll material there can be a felt base, fabric, foam, pile, and baseless. There is a floor material homogeneous and heterogeneous.
- An important factor when choosing glue for linoleum is the base material of the floor itself. These can be highly absorbent and weakly absorbent surfaces. It is on these grounds that our rating is divided.
Rating of the best adhesives for linoleum
Best adhesive for linoleum on concrete floor
In apartment buildings, administrative offices and private buildings, concrete floors or screed are used as a subfloor. The material has an increased moisture absorption, so special adhesives are used to attach linoleum to it.
See also: 5 best linoleum knives
The first place in the ranking is occupied by a product from a Polish manufacturer. The glue is made on a water-dispersed basis and is similar in consistency to a paste. The substance is applied with a spatula. For reliable fixation, a layer of 1 mm is sufficient. The product is produced in convenient packaging of 1, 2, 4, 7 and 14 kg. All containers have a handle for easy carrying. Buyers in the reviews share that the substance does not smell and it is pleasant to work with it. Surface imperfections are easily visible due to the light color of the paste. But after fixing the linoleum to the surface, you can not walk on it for up to 30 minutes.
Our experts awarded the product the first place in the rating because of its versatility. In addition to conventional linoleum, it is suitable for homogeneous and heterogeneous substrates. This allows you to securely fasten the thicker material with fiberglass inside so that it does not move from everyday passage through it. Another glue is designed for a significant increase in the temperature of the concrete base and is suitable for laying linoleum over a warm floor system from a cable or pipes with water.
- convenient packaging from 1 to 14 liters;
- has no smell;
- convenient application with a spatula;
- beige color helps to notice missed places on the floor.
- high price;
- dries 20-30 minutes;
- consumption from 1 kg to 3.3 m².
NORME COLOR PROFI
The second place in the rating is given to a product from a Russian company. The adhesive is moderately absorbed into the concrete base and remains wet enough to hold the top flooring material in place. After drying, the product prevents possible shifts or flaking, which is what the masters like in the reviews. Glue is applied with a spatula with special teeth and evenly distributed over the surface. A feature of the product is the preservation of its fixing properties despite the decrease in ambient temperature to -25 degrees. This allows the adhesive to be used in unheated buildings without damaging the linoleum. But you can buy a product only in a large capacity of 14 liters, since it is positioned as a professional and is designed for spacious areas (from 35 m²).
In our opinion, the product deserves a place in the rating due to its increased adhesion to the base. Due to this, the adhesive is suitable for fixing linoleum used for commercial purposes (buildings with high traffic, corridors, cafes, offices, hotel rooms). The adhesive layer will not allow the floor material to become covered with waves or form gaps at the joints.
- no volatile solvents in the composition;
- frost resistance allows use in unheated rooms;
- extends the life of linoleum by 40%;
- reduces the risk of surface damage when moving furniture.
- high price;
- 1 kg can be processed no more than 3 m²;
- only one packaging option for 14 liters.
In third place in the ranking is a product from another Russian manufacturer Homakoll. Glue “208” is made from water, dispersion and the addition of resins. The substance does not contain solvents and is completely odorless. It has high adhesion not only to horizontal, but also to vertical and ceiling surfaces, so the remnants of the product can be used to decorate the room with pieces of laminate, so as not to buy foam separately. Glue is sold in containers of 1, 4 and 14 liters. If the repair is scheduled for spring, then you can store the product in an unheated garage or other room – the glue can withstand up to 5 freezing cycles, for which it is praised by sellers in reviews.
We included a one-component product in the rating due to the accelerated drying time. Unlike competitors, the adhesive cures 10 minutes after application, which increases productivity and allows you to immediately walk on the coating. This is achieved due to the low content of liquid in the composition, which evaporates faster. The adhesive is suitable for linoleum with a foam base, fabric and pile. We recommend the product for domestic use in an apartment or house.
- does not shrink during polymerization;
- easy application;
- low water content;
- in the event of a fire, the floor does not support the flame;
- no volatile solvents.
- consumption on concrete is up to 2 m² per kg;
- not applicable to heterogeneous coating types;
- high price.
See also: 9 best manufacturers of linoleum
CS “Optimist K503”
The fourth place in the rating of adhesives for linoleum on concrete floors is given to another domestic product. The product “Optimist K503” is intended for fixing floor coverings with a felt, fabric or jute base. It consists of liquid glass, industrial oil and fillers. This allows even mosaics and ceramic tiles to be bonded. The masters in the reviews praise the product for the possibility of applying at a temperature of +5 degrees, so repair work can be carried out most of the year even in unheated rooms.
Our experts have rated the glue due to its increased heat resistance. The substance will not only withstand the heat from the underfloor heating system, but will also endure temperatures up to 400 degrees. It is practical to apply the same adhesive to both the floor and the wall around the fireplace to save costs and not have to purchase tile adhesive separately. The second advantage of the product is its price, which is four times less than that of competitors.
- non-toxic and odorless;
- can be applied at an air temperature of +5 degrees;
- immediately ready for use;
- the most affordable price in the rating category;
- after polymerization is not subject to cracking.
- complete drying in 24 hours;
- maximum strength is achieved after 72 hours;
- up to 500-700 ml per square meter is consumed;
- Sold in 18 liter containers only.
Best glue for linoleum on wood floor
In the case of wooden floors, there is a temptation to attach linoleum with small nails, as was done in the old fashioned way. But such installation spoils the aesthetics and does not protect against deformations of the coating. Instead, use the best adhesives from our list, specially designed for wood substrates.
Forbo 522 Eurosafe Star Tack
The first place in the ranking was taken by a product from the Forbo brand. A one-component dispersion solution is available in large containers of 13 and 20 liters. The adhesive is suitable for all types of linoleum, as well as thermal insulation materials. It can be applied to a clean wooden base and previously painted, which users in the reviews like. The adhesive should be appreciated by beginners who do their own repairs for the first time. The product hardens within 30-60 minutes, so the linoleum segments can be moved for a long time to achieve the correct location. But after that, you need to press the floor material with a rolling tool and not walk on it for an hour.
In our opinion, the glue deserves a place in the rating due to its high adhesion, which allows fixing linoleum, on which furniture will subsequently be rolled on rollers (office chairs, bedside tables, tables). The fastening is so strong that it will not allow the base to swell or become covered with waves, subjected to such specific loads.
- removal of excess traces of glue with water;
- high adhesion to the wooden floor;
- you can adjust the cut strips for a long time;
- suitable for all types of linoleum.
- high price;
- only two types of packaging of glue for 13 and 20 liters;
- dries within 30-60 minutes;
- for rough floorboards, pre-sanding is recommended.
The second place in the rating was given to glue “101” from the company “Polynom”. This product is designed for fixing heavy and dense floor materials. The composition includes acrylic dispersion and fillers, as well as rosin modifiers. This provides good adhesion and retention of the foamed linoleum base with a wooden floor. The substance is applied with a spatula and looks like a thick, white mass, by which it is convenient to track where the untreated surface remains. In 2002, this product became a laureate of a prestigious competition in Russia and received the Golden Quality Mark award.
We have rated polyacrylic linoleum adhesive as one of the best for its elasticity after curing. It will continue to hold the floor covering to the wood floor, even if the substrate is subject to mechanical stress. The product should be looked at by those whose floorboards have few supports and bend when walking. The tear resistance is 8 kgf/cm².
- almost odorless;
- suitable for all types of linoleum;
- sticks very strongly to the tree.
- dries from 30 minutes;
- 500 g is consumed for each m²;
- available only in large containers of 18 kg.
TEX KS Construction
In third place in the rating is a Russian product from the TEX company. This is a general purpose adhesive suitable for attaching linoleum to wood flooring with any sanding quality. The base of the floor can be made of chipboard or fiberboard. Glue is applied with a spatula and dries for a long time, which allows you to correct flaws during installation. You can work with the solution at a temperature of 0 degrees, but it is only important to mix the contents of the container thoroughly. The glue perfectly sticks to the wooden base, despite the humidity of the air up to 80%. Buyers note in the reviews the economical consumption of the product, which can process up to 4 m². In a closed container, the product will be stored for 12 months.
We have added glue to the ranking of the best due to the high density of the substance, which is 1.6 kg / l. This allows you to use the solution to fill cracks in the wooden floor and pre-putty cracks, and then immediately glue the linoleum with the same composition.
- it is possible to cover up to 4 m² with one liter of glue;
- sticks to any kind of wood, stone;
- withstands elevated temperatures up to 400 degrees;
- compatible with linoleum on a fabric, pile or jute basis.
- there are only small packages of glue of 900 ml and 3 l;
- dries 3 hours;
- it is allowed to load the surface with furniture and frequent passages only after 3 days.
The Spanish product from the Sintex brand closes our rating. The product is positioned as “cold welding” for linoleum joints. It is produced in tubes of 100 ml, equipped with its own spout for easy delivery. The substance has no color, so it goes well with any flooring design, which buyers like in the reviews. After application, you can make adjustments for another half an hour. When the composition polymerizes, it will not be subject to moisture penetration – this is true for bathrooms and kitchens, where water may appear on the floor. The adhesive barrier will prevent it from passing under the linoleum to the wooden base. But in order to apply the product, you will need to thoroughly clean the surface of dust and debris.
This product made it into the rating due to its filling capacity. Glue is suitable for fixing the ends of linoleum, filling accidental punctures or cuts. It is worth buying for beginners, because during the first installation errors in size are inevitable and wide gaps will have to be filled with something.
- forms a waterproof barrier that prevents water from flowing under the linoleum;
- increases the decorative component of the design of the edges of the roll;
- fills gaps up to 4 mm wide;
- one tube is enough for sealing joints on an area of 50 m².
- more suitable for linoleum with a foam base;
- hardening after 2-3 hours;
- polymerization 2 days;
- the optimum temperature for application is +20 degrees.